Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rift Patch 1.1 is a boon for AOE farming!

If you're like me, you love to AoE farm.  It doesn't matter which MMO I'm playing, if I'm not running a dungeon, or PvP'ing, I'm out somewhere trying to kill as many creatures as possible, in the shortest amount of time.

Rift patch 1.1 is the first major content patch for Trion's up and coming MMO.  It introduces a week-long world event, complete with its own currency, limited-time rewards, the opening of a new raid instance, and much debated class balance changes.

As I began to digest the Epic-Mealtime-sized patch notes, I noticed a seemingly innocuous entry that, I'm sure, many players just glanced over on their way to bigger, sometimes heartbreakingly not better, changes.  I'm talking about the change to the 'exposed' debuff.

Now this little debuff has been the bane of any Rift AoE aficionado.  That is, until patch 1.1 officially went live.  Previously, the 'exposed' debuff increased the amount of damage a player would take by 20%, and stacked up to five times.  You got the debuff by getting hit by a creature while running away from it.  Not a huge deal, for most, but for an AoE'er, five stacks was nearly a certainty if you wanted a efficient pull.  However, the prospect of taking 100% increased damage prevented a player from truly reaching his or her AoE potential.


Patch 1.1 has opened the floodgates.  'Exposed' no longer increases the damage a player takes; instead, it comes with a penalty to movement speed, similar to being 'dazed' in World of Warcraft.  For most AoE farmers, this is a much easier debuff to deal with.  For my Cleric, it's even less significant because I can dispel the snare.  I'm not sure if that last part is intended, but it sure is nice.

Now my Cleric can pull as many mobs as he can rightfully handle, and he's laughing all the way to the bank.  The cloth and gear drops are pouring in at an astounding rate now, and I'm having so much fun finally using my characters AoE capabilities to their fullest.

So, if you're like me, and you like to AoE, or maybe if you're just strapped for cash and have some time to kill, get out there and start blowing things up, en masse.  Check out the video above for some tips and a demonstration.

Note: this works great for leveling, as well.  Many classes can AoE, so take a look at your calling boards for builds and strategies specific to your class.  For Inquisitors, you can start as soon as you have Soul Drain and Contempt, though Fanaticism and Circle of Oblivion really push the AoE to new heights.

Here's a link to the build I used in the video: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jde.V0x.Exkixtkqz.Vxoz

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome dude. Thanks so much for the spec.

Think you could post more videos about where to grind and how to do it?

Electron in a Box said...

I sure can. As soon as I find more spots, and different builds capable of doing it. I'm not limiting myself to the Cleric calling either.

Anonymous said...

OK, so nice video and all ... but seriously, get ready to be nerfed to hell and back. If Trion sees this, it's all over because that is ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jde.V0x.Exkixtkqz.Vxoz

Here is my version of doing exactly what you're doing here. IMO, this build sacrifices some PVP viability to make the PVE AOE grind a bit "safer". The points in Justicar give you salvation, which means all of that damage you're pumping out is guaranteed to heal you for a bit of it. Also, your cleanup spells generate convictions, allowing you a few "oh shit" instant heals. Also, the points in Purifier give you the awesome shield, which if you use immediately prior to Circle of Oblivion means that you won't lose any spell damage due to being hit while channeling. Just my $0.02.

Electron in a Box said...

@Anonymous Yeah, if this were a pure PvE spec, that's exactly what I would do, move Warden over to Cabalist.

By the way, the link you posted is to my build. Just FYI, when you edit a build in the Soul Calculator, you need to generate a link by clicking 'link to this build' in the top right. Otherwise, whatever build was up when you first got to the page would be linked to!

Is this similar to what you're running? http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jdo.V0x.EEkbgt0qz.VbV

Electron in a Box said...

Speaking of http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jdo.V0x.EEkbgt0qz.VbV

I think I'll drop my Shaman spec and try it out, just to see what the numbers look like. I may post a follow up video if it's significantly different.

Anonymous said...

Great guide and ver insightful.

Would love to see you develop this blog more, ie. include healing, raid and pvp guides.

This could become a great compedium.

Electron in a Box said...

Thanks for the compliment and suggestion! I've been getting lots of requests for build advice and to add some AoE grinding locations.

Once I scrape together some free time, I will definitely add these features.

Be sure to subscribe to this blog if you want to stay up to date!

Joe Liu said...

Sweet build!! Been looking for some good cleric videos and finally found onE! Could you by chance post what macros you are using and also what your stats are (wisdom, intelligence, spell power)?

Thanks!!